Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Off to Lesotho

Today is 11/10/09.....let the count down begin. Right now I'm in Philadelphia, and I had my first Phillie Cheese Steak for dinner. It was delicious! My hotel roomies and I were also able to get up this morning and walk around Philadelphia for a bit, so I got some photos of the liberty bell and independence hall that I will post later, as I have limited time on the hotel computer (welcome to the next two years of my life). Today we went through "staging" which was just the basic PC paperwork and registration, and some ice-breaker games and lessons (gotta love that). I am officially PC trainee now, and not just an invitee. We're headed to New York in about 5 hours, and from there we will fly into Jo-Burg, and from there to Maseru...the capitol city of Lesotho. I can't believe it's all finally happening! The education group that I'm with consists of about 30 people, mostly females, but a handfull of guys. So far everyone is very nice, and we all seem to be depending a lot on our senses of humor to get us through this transitional period.

I want to thank everyone for the amazing going away party that was thrown for me, and for all the wonderful gifts. I think I'm pretty prepared....I deffinately have enough luggage! I know I didn't get to send thank-you cards to everyone, so for the record, "THANK YOU!!!" I coudn't have made it this far without everyone's support. I will miss everyone a great deal, but I'll come back with many stories to tell.

For the next 3 months we will be stationed in Lesotho for training, and I've heard that during that time we won't have any internet access. I promise to update this every chance I get, but I don't know how often that will be. I still don't have an address for sending letters or anything, but as soon as I do I'll post it.

Love You All! Now I'm off to call the boyfriend ;)

8 comments:

  1. i'm missing you already. I have been checking this website like crazy...lol. I swear if I had just stayed away, I wouldnt be so sad that your gone fow two whole years, as I just would've been used to not seeing you, but damn me, I just had to come see you off, and now I'm missing you all over again. who am I gonna call and cry to when my friends arent being friends. oh well, I wouldht have given up the chance to see you off for anything. I know you are gonna have a great time and have some crazy adventures. I will be constantly checking in on my end to see what you are up to...very excited for you my hoo higgins...much love, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley, just talked to you and cant wait to hear from you again...we all love and miss you sooo much already, but you know that! Have an amazing experience and be safe! Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foofers! I'm glad you got a chance to check out Philly with your bunkmates. I love that city. I'm so excited for you that the adventure has finally begun. I'm going to miss your face and your voice SO much but I can't wait to hear all about everything. I'm dying to know how much each bag really weighed :). I'll bet you're cursing our overly excellent packing skills right about now. Have a good 15 hour flight, pop some sleeping pills, and wake up in AFRICA! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you and glad you are finally on this amazing adventure! I wish I could have gone to your amazing going away party!!! I know we've been apart (haha) for years now, but you've always been a phone call away. I'll miss that! It'll fly by!!!

    I can't wait to hear and see about what you are doing!!!

    LOVE YA

    ReplyDelete
  5. already missing you soooooo much! we invited adam over for a family dinner on sunday...wish you were coming too!

    love, the gwinns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about you all day today. Smoocheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. totally took your head to our engagement party yesterday. you were doing jello shots, playing beer pong and got serenaded by Kurt on karaoke. you should probably check out the pics on facebook. you had an AWESOME time :). you were pretty quiet though....

    miss YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i saw the pics from court's party, they are pretty impressive...

    ReplyDelete