Thursday, February 18, 2010

Morning Routine

Since becoming settled in my new home I can't help but take note of the many differences between by morning routine here in Lesotho compared to that in America. I will now share those differences with you fine people :)

~I wake up to the buzz of flies and the crow of roosters instead of to an alarm.
~I wake up hours early vs. minutes late.
~I drink instant coffee instead of the real stuff (although sometimes I do splurge).
~I look out the window at a mountain vs. a manicured golf course.
~I watch herd boys go by instead of golfers.
~I listen to O FM "The Sound of Your Life" instead of watching the Today's Show.
~I talk to Fetus, the dog rather than my boyfriend.
~I ALWAYS take the time to fix breakfast vs. relying on a last minute Starbucks run.
~I do my dishes vs. doing my hair.
~I apply sunscreen vs. makeup
~I get dressed in the same clothes I've worn for days vs. a fresh, clean outfit.
~I have a 20 minute hike down the mountain to get to work vs. a 5 minute drive or bike ride.
~Once at work I listen to Sesotho rather than speaking English.
~I rarely have a schedule or agenda to follow vs. having every minute accounted for.
~I maybe work 2-3 hours a day vs. always working 8 or more.

5 comments:

  1. These are amazing things to consider. I'm so glad you are sharing this! The American life is so busy and fast paced!

    In five/ten years you will fully appreciate this list! :-)

    LOVE YOU HAY!!! You are doing a fabulous thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) That's all I can do when I read this. They sound like beautiful substitues...except for the Boopie part. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds too familiar! reminds me of my lesotho days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mornings start at like noon. Starbucks is still a part of my day. I don't walk I take cabs. I work maybe 10+ hours a shift. Breakfast?...

    Damn, you must be happy. I envy you right now. You show no signs of stress.

    Keep kicking ass hay.

    -Pword

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lists of all kids and this one just tops it! I'm so glad you are loving your decision and life!

    <3 Marika

    ReplyDelete