Monday, June 14, 2010

Winter Break

Winter Break is now upon us. The last day of classes was Friday, June 11, and they don't start up again until the beginning of August. The months of June and July will be filled with some work, some play, and A LOT of down time.
With this break comes the World Cup! As anyone who knows me can vouch, I don't care at all about sports. However, when its all taking place so near to me I can't help but "feel it". That's one of the WC slogans, "can you feel it?" I watched the first game on t.v at a restaraunt/bar across the street from my village, and watched another one the other day. My host family will be watching them all, I'm sure, so I can follow the whole thing if I want to (probably won't). I will however be spending a day in Bloemfontein South Africa for the game on the 20th of June, Paraguay vs. Slovakia. This is not a game I'm invested in at all, but the dates worked well, and we even managed to find a place to stay in spite of our last minute planning. We've got a flat that belongs to some nuns (they'll be outta town) and it's only 3 minutes away from the stadium. I'm excited to be right in the middle of the action. I didn't get tickets to the game but I plan to watch it from a crowded bar somewhere in Bloem. Should be a good time! Maybe we'll get lucky and the flat will have hot showers too! BONUS!

1 comment:

  1. Its still hard to imagine the cold weather there when its so hot here! :-) Do you have anyone visiting you during that time?

    That should be a cool experience to be so close to the action! Regardless of how into football you are, being there makes a huge difference!!!

    ReplyDelete